The coal block scam has become a major issue in the Kanpur Lok Sabha constituency of Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal, with his Bharatiya Janata Party rival Murli Manohar Joshi and Mahmood Rehmani of Aam Aadmi Party attacking him over the controversial allocation.
Joshi, who was shifted to Kanpur from Varanasi to make way for Narendra Modi, came here on March 21, his first after the announcement of his candidature.
During the visit, the BJP candidate had made a veiled attack on Jaiswal, saying, “While investigating the coal block allocation scam as a member of the Parliament’s Public Accounts Committee, I never imagined that one day I will have to fight elections from the constituency of a person whose name cropped up in the scam.”
Also, during a rally here in October, BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi had directly attacked Jaiswal, saying the people of the country would seek answers from Congress on the scam.
AAP candidate Rehmani has also been attacking Jaiswal over the issue. “The people of Kanpur have elected Jaiswal three times, but what has he given to them…scams involving crores of rupees,” he said.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“The Congress-led government has committed two dozen scams like the coal scam with the people’s money. Not alone Jaiswal, but all Congress candidates will have to give an answer to the country for this,” he said.
Meanwhile, talking to reporters two days ago, Jaiswal had denied all allegations regarding the scam.
He said he would quit politics if the charges were proven correct and dared his opponents to do the same if they were proven wrong.
He also said he had worked for the development of Kanpur and people of the city knew this very well.