Controversial chief of right wing outfit Sri Ram Sene founder Pramod Muthalik, who was linked with the attack on women at a pub in Mangalore in 2009, joined the BJP here on Sunday.
Muthalik was welcomed into the party fold in the presence of State party President Prahalad Joshi, former Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar and former Deputy Chief Minister K S Eshwarappa at a formal ceremony here.
Muthalik later told reporters that he joined BJP with the objective of ensuring that Narendra Modi becomes the country’s next Prime Minister.
He has had a love-hate relation with BJP, which was evident when the saffron party had accused him of misusing Modi’s name for raising funds.
He joined RSS in 1975 and Shiv Sena in 2005, but left the latter in 2006.
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
This is the first time he is officially being associated with the party.
BJP and Sangh Parivar leaders feel Muthalik’s entry into the party can tilt the scales, especially in Belgaum, as people divided on the basis of mother tongues Kannada and Marathi, will come together under the Hindutva plank.
BJP leaders also feel his entry will benefit the party in other parts of the district and neighbouring districts.
Muthalik shot into the limelight when Ram Sene workers allegedly attacked girls in a pub in Mangalore in 2009.
The hardcore Hindutva leader is facing several cases, including one relating to promoting enmity between two communities.