Observing that the issue of giving Leader of Opposition (LoP) status is before the Lok Sabha Speaker, Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu on Sunday said everyone must abide by the presiding officer’s decision.
“But Opposition Leader status should be given during BJP’s rule. They (Congress leaders) say how it cannot be given and that Constitution does not agree. They say situation was different then and now,” the Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister said, addressing an event held at BJP office here on the occasion of Jan Sangh founder Syama Prasad Mukherjee’s birth anniversary.
“They say you be liberal (in giving LoP status). It is people’s verdict and matter related to Constitution. Speaker’s decision should be adhered to and let’s see how the Speaker decides. There are some conventions, rules and regulations, precedents and directions of the Speaker. They are all there before us. Everybody has to go by that,” he said.
Asked about Congress leader Shakeel Ahmed’s reported comments that getting the LoP position is their right and that Parliament would not run if the position is not given to their party, Naidu alleged that the Congress is not able to accept the defeat.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
“Alright. Let’s see. We know how to run (the House) if it is not able to run. There is no need for a public debate on this. They are not able to accept the defeat. They are not able to take the defeat even after such a terrible defeat. We leave it to their wisdom,” he said.
“People have decided whatever they had to decide. We hope that Congress and all of us together run the Parliament and do good for people and make efforts for country’s development,” the senior BJP leader said.