Observing that the issue of giving Leader of Opposition (LoP) status is before the Lok Sabha Speaker, Union Minister M Venkaiah Naidu on Sunday said everyone must abide by the presiding officer’s decision.
“But Opposition Leader status should be given during BJP’s rule. They (Congress leaders) say how it cannot be given and that Constitution does not agree. They say situation was different then and now,” the Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister said, addressing an event held at BJP office here on the occasion of Jan Sangh founder Syama Prasad Mukherjee’s birth anniversary.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
“They say you be liberal (in giving LoP status). It is people’s verdict and matter related to Constitution. Speaker’s decision should be adhered to and let’s see how the Speaker decides. There are some conventions, rules and regulations, precedents and directions of the Speaker. They are all there before us. Everybody has to go by that,” he said.
Asked about Congress leader Shakeel Ahmed’s reported comments that getting the LoP position is their right and that Parliament would not run if the position is not given to their party, Naidu alleged that the Congress is not able to accept the defeat.
“Alright. Let’s see. We know how to run (the House) if it is not able to run. There is no need for a public debate on this. They are not able to accept the defeat. They are not able to take the defeat even after such a terrible defeat. We leave it to their wisdom,” he said.
“People have decided whatever they had to decide. We hope that Congress and all of us together run the Parliament and do good for people and make efforts for country’s development,” the senior BJP leader said.