Taking strong objection to Sonia Gandhi’s appeal to Muslim leaders to ensure their votes are not split, BJP today termed it is a violation of the Model Code of Conduct and asked the Election Commission to take suo motu note of it.
The principal opposition party also accused Congress of playing communal politics and dubbed the ruling party as “pseudo secularist”. Making such an appeal to the minority community was an insult to Muslims as everyone had the right to exercise their franchise independently and not on the basis of religion, BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar said.
“This is an insult to Muslims. Congress’ communal politics is exposed, because when yesterday a Muslim delegation under the leadership of (Shahi Imam of Jama Masjid Syed Ahmed) Bukhari met Sonia Gandhi, the Congress President appealed to them to ensure that their votes are not split.
“This is absolute communal politics on display. This is absolutely unacceptable. This is also a violation of the Code of Conduct also because you cannot appeal to voters on the basis of religion and caste. We expect the Election Commission to take suo motu cognisance of this appeal,” Javadekar said.
He said in a democracy every person is free to vote according to his or her conscience and not on the basis of religion. “That is the vote bank politics Congress is indulging in. This is what Congress is and stands completely exposed,” he said, challenging it for a debate on secularism.
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Javadekar said, “Here is a new definition of secularism. We are seeking votes in the name of the country – for progress, for good governance. We are called communal. And those, everybody who seeks votes in the name of religion and caste, they are called secularists.
This is absolutely a perverted definition of secularisms. They are not secularists, they are pseudo secularists.”