Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Friday hoisted the national flag at the AICC headquarters in a simple ceremony.
This was the first Independence Day celebration in the party after the massive defeat of Congress in 2014 Lok Sabha polls, which saw the party’s tally plummeting to 44 from 206 in 2009.
The Congress-led UPA was in power at the Centre for ten years since 2004.
- Twitter War Between Congress Leader Amarinder Singh & Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal
- Life Of Actor-Dancer Ashwini Ekbote Who Died During A Performance
- Idea Exchange With Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh
- PM Narendra Modi Bats For Equal Rights : Here What He Said On Triple Talaq
- Uncle Shivpal Targets Akhilesh, Claims CM Told Him He Will Form Another Party
- Pakistan Continues To Violate Ceasefire In RS Pura
- Samajwadi Party’s internal fight divides SP
- Cyrus Mistry Removed As Chairman of Tata Sons: Here’s What Happened
- Wreath Laying Ceremony Of Slain Soldier Sushil Kumar Observed
- Virat Kohli Powers India Home With Unbeaten 154
- Pakistan Resorts To Heavy Mortar Shelling, 1 BSF Jawan Dead, 3 Injured
- Bigg Boss 10 Weekend Ka Vaar: Priyanka Jagga Evicted
- Here’s How Much Army Welfare Fund Has After MNS Demanded Rs 5 Cr To Cast Pak Artistes
- Shiv Sena Chief Uddhav Thackeray Take A Jibe At MNS: Here’s What He Said
- Samajwadi Party Crisis Deepens: Here’s How It Will Impact UP Polls
The ceremony was attended by former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, party Vice President Rahul Gandhi and other senior leaders including AK Antony, Ghulam Nabi Azad, Ahmed Patel, Janardan Dwivedi and Shakeel Ahmed.
Former Finance Minister P Chidambaram, AICC general Secretary Ambika Soni, AICC Communication Department chief Ajay Maken were not present.
However, party leaders said that while Maken is out of Delhi, Soni was not well.
After the flag hoisting, Sonia and Rahul wished the journalists gathered there but did not take any questions. They were asked about Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Independence Day speech.