Smriti Irani breaks silence over education controversy, says ‘judge me by my work’

"Extraneous circumstances have been created to deviate my attention from the work I have been given," said Smriti Irani.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi | Updated: May 30, 2014 12:40 am
Ajay Maken had tweeted questioning Irani's appointment, claiming Smriti was not even a graduate. (Source: AP photo) Ajay Maken had tweeted questioning Irani’s appointment, claiming she was not even a graduate. (Source: AP photo)

Reacting to the controversy surrounding her educational qualifications two days after it broke out, HRD Minister and BJP leader Smriti Irani Thursday said she should be judged by her work, adding that “extraneous circumstances” had been created to deviate her attention from the job at hand.

“Extraneous circumstances have been created to ensure that my attention is deviated from the body of work I have been entrusted with,” Irani said. The Congress had questioned Irani’s ability to deliver as HRD minister since she is “not even a graduate”.

“I will request all of you that judge me by my work and I will not add anything to the statement I have made,” she said.

Irani’s educational qualifications had generated further controversy after it emerged that she had made contradictory declarations in her affidavits in the Lok Sabha elections in 2004 and 2014.

Lalu, misa back smriti

PATNA: RJD chief Lalu Prasad and daughter Misa Bharti Thursday rallied behind Smriti Irani. While Lalu recalled how he was derided despite being a graduate and having an LLB degree, Misa said if a Class 12 pass can “understand nitty gritty of HRD Ministry”, there was no need for further education. ENS

RAJU
    May 30, 2014 at 6:16 pm
    very shameful for BJP.They don't have enough qualified people or what?
    AGK
    May 30, 2014 at 8:39 am
    Since Smt.Smriti Zubin Irani was a fore runner in India-anese summit earlier, Kindly understand anese is difficult than Normal English. On The Feet of Lord Sree Venkateswara.
    Desk
    May 29, 2014 at 12:21 pm
    Could a 12 p Education minister be a role model for promoting education? What message is going to students? Why work hard and even study when one can become an actress or a minister without proper education? I am a Modi Fan. I am not doubting her capability and commitment. Ok for her to be any other cabinet minister but she is not a right choice for education minister.
    AzgarKeDost .
    May 29, 2014 at 11:46 am
    Uma Bharti supports falsifying your academic credentials
  5. B
    Binu Varghese
    Jun 3, 2014 at 4:00 am
    Why is Smriti Irani doing another Saans Bahu type of a drama.... she should just admit that she lied and hid this fact. That is just the simple way out. MOre drama, means more controversy. Modi should not forget that she is also a defeated by people person. If Congress had done this, the BJP would have created such a hungama and now they want everyone to keep quite. Saans bhi kabhi bahu thhi...
  6. J
    jay
    May 29, 2014 at 5:50 am
    let her work for at least 6 months..
    Anil.Galgali
    May 29, 2014 at 5:46 pm
    Its very serious issue and how this new hrd minister talking like a school kids. If she not fraudulent then Why she not file case against the people who are targeted her on education qualification.
  8. G
    Guest
    May 30, 2014 at 4:10 am
    Suppose a fellow received PG/ PhD in "Religions and Cultures in the Indic Civilization", how does it matter.It will have nothing to do in education.Governance matters. If education matters then What Kej-lal did ! in some Governments people without any science degree had become union S&T minister !!!