Congress leader Amarinder Singh on Wednesday said that Navjot Singh Sidhu would have been a tougher contestant from Amritsar than Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Arun Jaitley, whom he dismissed as a “nominal candidate”.
“Let me also tell now that all is over….Had he (Sidhu) been there, I would have had a difficult fight. At the moment there is no fight. Arun Jaitley is no candidate. He may be the nominal candidate but my fight is with Akalis on the ground,” he told reporters.
He was responding to a question whether Sidhu not being in the fray may have benefited him in the elections.
“Have you ever heard me talk much about Jaitley….Its always about (Bikram Singh) Majithia and Badals and all that….So that fight remains there with Jaitley as a figure head,” said the Congress candidate from Amritsar where polling is taking place today.
Singh, a former Punjab Chief Minister, “To some extent it will benefit because BJP is divided. Half of BJP likes Navjot Singh Sidhu and thinks very well of him and naturally I think they are upset that he is not there.”
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
Meanwhile, Jaitley, the BJP nominee from Amritsar, offered prayers at the Golden Temple and later told reporters, “I have often come here and today is a special day. That is why taking blessings here is in accordance with our traditions. My messege to the people is that they should come out and vote.”
SAD leader Sukhbir Singh Badal maintained that Punjab is not facing any anti-incumbancy and said that he expected “amazing results”.
“From Punjab, we are voting for the national elections and not for the state elections. Anti-incumbancy was a factor when you all thought in the last elections (2012). You will see amazing results this time. There are just 16 days to go,” he said.
Replying to a question on the drug menace, he said that the highest recovery of drugs and the maximum number of drug pushers who were arrested in the whole country were in Punjab.
“These are records according to the Home Ministry of the Government of India. We are the only state which has declared a war on drugs….We are the only state which has recovered the maximum (amount of drugs),” he said.