Shinde U-turn: ‘Anger directed at social media’

Clarifying his statement on crushing the media, the Home Minister said he meant social media and not journalism.

Pune | Updated: February 25, 2014 11:56 pm
Shinde alleged a section of media was unnecessarily provoking the Congress by indulging in "false propaganda" against it. Shinde alleged a section of media was unnecessarily provoking the Congress by indulging in “false propaganda” against it.

Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde did a U-turn on Tuesday on his remarks about “crushing elements in the electronic media” who were allegedly orchestrating campaigns against the Congress. He clarified that he was talking about the social media and not “journalism”. “Hum social media ke bare mein bol rahe the. Journalism ke baare mein hum ne kucchh nahi kaha,” he told reporters in Solapur.

Refering to incidences of violence against people from the Northeast in several cities, which were reportedly sparked by rumours spread through social media and video sharing website, Shinde said, “What I said yesterday was about the social media. I have the recording (of the speech). I was talking about the atrocities committed against the people hailing from the Northeast. People from the Northeast who were returning to their homes from Hyderabad and cities in Karnataka were beaten up inside the train. I was talking about social media in this context. I didn’t say anything about journalism.”

Speaking at a rally of Youth Congress workers Sunday evening, Shinde had stoked a controversy by saying that he will “crush” the electronic media, alleging a section of it was unnecessarily indulging in “false propaganda” against the Congress.

“Certain section of the electronic media has opened a front against us for last three to four months. It’s their (media’s) responsibility to report truth. However, certain elements in the media are orchestrating nasty designs against us. Since, I am also in charge of the intelligence wing, I know from where this is coming from. We will crush these elements in the electronic media,” he had said.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App now

First Published on: February 26, 2014 12:05 am
  1. N
    Namba Madayangala
    Feb 25, 2014 at 6:30 am
    Wow, what a bare-faced threat.The fellow does not have the guts to tackle terrorists. Instead he feeds them biryani and gives them 5-star treatment at taxpayer expense. But he is threatening honest citizens.
      kum
      Feb 26, 2014 at 6:33 am
      Sushil Kumar Shinde's remarks on media: Just a diversion to take the national media's attention away from the congress party's illegal, undemocratic actions in Andhra Pradesh
        Kuppuswamy Ramani
        Feb 25, 2014 at 12:53 pm
        Indian express supports Shindes no matter what they say.. IE knows it has their backing
          Satish Chandra
          Feb 25, 2014 at 8:25 am
          The deaths of Rajiv and Indira did not matter, only the crimes against Satish Chandra matter. Both partited in the CIA’s crimes against me and both were killed by CIA-RAW because of my influence on them. I was the target in killing them; they themselves did not matter. Nehru was a lifelong British agent, Indira and Rajiv worked for the CIA and so do all Indian politicians. Narendra Modi should be whipped and hanged for giving a bouquet of roses to an American diplomat in exchange for a strip search and cavity search of an Indian diplomat. P. Chidambaram should be whipped and hanged for speaking positively about Harvard University where the world’s greatest scientist and greatest Indian of all time was publicly tortured for being an Indian. The Italian woman and son should be whipped and hanged for partiting in crimes against him with the help of the CIA’s 24-hour satellite surveillance of him for the past 37 years. Arvind Kejriwal and Mamata Banerjee should be whipped and hanged for ociating with CIA-RAW agent Hazare, a follower of M. K. hi who was a lifelong British agent and a homoual who wrote to his white master “How completely you have taken possession of my body; it is slavery with a vengeance”. You do not shake hands with any representative of a country whose potion will be made to eat one another till no one remains alive. Filthy s Manmohan Singh, P. Chidambaram and Raghuram Rajan made India a beggar and slave at the G-20 urging “advanced nations, like the US, to take heed of countries vulnerable to the stimulus withdrawal” and “advanced nations must recognise the impact of their monetary policy decisions on other economies and "be prepared to act if things get out of kilter" “. Why? Because “The reduction in stimulus, known as tapering, may affect capital flows to emerging markets and impact their currencies”. Why do you want to give ownership and control of India to foreign enemies when India has all the investment capital it wants by simply printing the money which is what the U.S. is doing stealing my proposal about money -- see ‘How India’s Economy Can Grow 30% Per Year or More’ : HowIndiasEconomyCanGrowDOTblogspotDOTcom ? These filthy s Manmohan Singh and Raghuram Rajan must also be whipped and hanged along with filthy s Amartya Sen, Subramanian Swamy -- who were both brought to Harvard and one of them given a Nobel prize expressly to provide cover for the crimes against me -- and anyone else in public life you can think of. It is not too late to whip and hang filthy s Vajpayee and George Fernandes both of whom have been faking illness and an inability to speak to avoid answering questions about their partition in the CIA’s crimes against me. Nor is it too late to whip and hang filthy Ram Jethmalani, who was also brought to Harvard to provide cover for crimes against me and rewarded with a half a million dollar per year law practice and filthy L. K Advani who, while Home Minister, was brought, under pain of being prosecuted for the Babri Masjid demolition, to C.I.A. Headquarters to make India’s Home Ministry a partint in the C.I.A.’s crimes against me. Filthy Kejriwal wants to provide a few services at lower rates but my proposal about money shows how to provide all goods and services free of charge to everyone. Filthy M. Karunanidhi should be whipped and hanged; he was having Indian currency printed in China with the help of the Reserve Bank of India chief to provide some freebies to the people of Tamil Nadu as I described in my press releases but kept the crimes against me covered up otherwise everything could be provided free of charge to everyone in India. Filthy Jayalalitha should be whipped and hanged for saying she has a vision for India but keeping quiet about the crimes against me because of which India will remain poor, weak and enslaved despite her vision. IndiasLegitimateRulerSatishChandraDOTblogspotDOTcom3:25am
          1. V
            Vasan Muthugani
            Feb 25, 2014 at 12:19 pm
            He is fit to a watch man of guarding Ms. Sonia`s house. NOT our Country.