Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde did a U-turn on Tuesday on his remarks about “crushing elements in the electronic media” who were allegedly orchestrating campaigns against the Congress. He clarified that he was talking about the social media and not “journalism”. “Hum social media ke bare mein bol rahe the. Journalism ke baare mein hum ne kucchh nahi kaha,” he told reporters in Solapur.
Refering to incidences of violence against people from the Northeast in several cities, which were reportedly sparked by rumours spread through social media and video sharing website, Shinde said, “What I said yesterday was about the social media. I have the recording (of the speech). I was talking about the atrocities committed against the people hailing from the Northeast. People from the Northeast who were returning to their homes from Hyderabad and cities in Karnataka were beaten up inside the train. I was talking about social media in this context. I didn’t say anything about journalism.”
Speaking at a rally of Youth Congress workers Sunday evening, Shinde had stoked a controversy by saying that he will “crush” the electronic media, alleging a section of it was unnecessarily indulging in “false propaganda” against the Congress.
“Certain section of the electronic media has opened a front against us for last three to four months. It’s their (media’s) responsibility to report truth. However, certain elements in the media are orchestrating nasty designs against us. Since, I am also in charge of the intelligence wing, I know from where this is coming from. We will crush these elements in the electronic media,” he had said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016