Narendra Modi Thursday dubbed the decision by the Congress to replace its candidate in Vadodara, Narendra Ravat, an “injustice to Dalits” and said even though he was his (Modi’s)opponent, he would “fight for him”. Having given it a Dalit spin Thursday, Modi brought this up again at a rally in the Sasaram reserved constituency, an obviously effort at boosting the chances of former JD(U) legislator-turned-BJP candidate Chhedi Paswan who is locked in a tough contest against sitting MP and Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar.
What may have come as a big disappointment to the BJP rank and file, however, was the near-absence of women at the rally, an indication perhaps of the local candidate’s failure to appeal to women voters. There were barely a dozen women, apart from the security staff, in what was otherwise an impressive gathering on a hot summer afternoon.
Taking a dig at Rahul Gandhi’s decision to hold US-style primaries to select Congress candidates for 16 seats, Modi said, “Shehzaade ke brainchild ka baalmrityu ho gaya (His idea was stillborn).” In Vadodara , despite having been Ravat elected in the primary, the Congress named Madhusudan Mistry to take on Modi on his home turf.
“The one who had won (the primaries) was the son of a Dalit. Did he not have the right to contest Lok Sabha elections?… It is an example of the Congress party’s attitude towards Dalits. It is not a question of whether he is a candidate or not; it is a question of injustice against a Dalit. Although he was going to fight against me, I will fight for him henceforth,” said Modi.
Attacking the Congress manifesto, he said, “before the last elections, the Congress promised to check price rise within 100 days. It did not. Now … they are saying again they will check price rise.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
He also attacked Meira Kumar for not initiating any development work in her constituency.