She is the first candidate of her young party vying for victory in the Lok Sabha polls in Ghaziabad, but AAP member Shazia Ilmi is also only the third woman ever to have entered a parliamentary election contest for this seat.
In 1962, Congress leader Kamla Choudhary had won in the general elections here to become the first woman MP from Ghaziabad.
After Choudhary, it was another Congress leader, Reeta Singh, who contested the Lok Sabha elections for this seat in 1996. But after her loss in that exercise, no woman candidate had entered the Lok Sabha poll fray from Ghaziabad before AAP handed the ticket to Ilmi.
Women make up around 40 per cent of the electorate in Ghaziabad (8,78,367 out of 20,28,650 voters), which goes to polls on April 10. There is no woman representative in the five Assembly segments within Ghaziabad district.
In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, apart from the sole woman candidate in Ilmi, the field contains BJP’s VK Singh, Raj Babbar of Congress, Mukul Uphadya of BSP and SP’s Sudan Rawat.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
BJP President Rajnath Singh is the sitting MP after he won in the 2009 elections. He is contesting from Lucknow this time.
“Ghaziabad is home to mostly rural populations; that is why women don’t come forward to claim candidature for Lok Sabha elections.
“Besides, a woman leader who wants to contest elections is often prevented by her male leaders in her own party,” said a senior leader of a national party who has been involved in UP politics for over 30 years.
Before Rajnath, Congress leader Surrender Goyal had held the Ghaziabad Lok Sabha seat. Prior to that, BJP leader Ramesh Chand Tomar was undefeated in the constituency from 1991 till 2004.