Under attack from within, Congress leader Shashi Tharoor on Friday wrote to the party explaining his controversial praise of Prime Minister Narendra Modi making it clear that he stood committed to the organisation and the principles of secularism.
In a letter to Ajay Maken, Chairman of the AICC Communication Department, he has said “by praising him (Modi) for specific things, we help frame public expectation of his continued behaviour and raise the bar against which we will judge him in future”.
Tharoor’s letter comes against the backdrop of strong criticism from Congress MP Mani Shankar Aiyar calling him “immature” and a “chameleon. He had said yesterday he was “deeply disappointed” that an “intelligent” man like Tharoor should want to rush to judgement in this manner and come out with this effusive remarks.
Another senior leader Digvijay Singh on Friday advised Tharoor, who had written an article in an American news website in which he head said Modi was looking to turn himself from a “hate figure into an avatar of modernity and progress”, not to jump to conclusions.
The Congress party itself had yesterday distanced itself from Tharoor’s praise of Modi and said they were his personal views.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Party sources today said that the party feels the matter should be put to rest now with Tharoor’s explanation.