BJP president Amit Shah Friday called on RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat here and held over an hour-long meeting during which they are believed to have discussed the forthcoming Assembly elections in Maharashtra.
According to sources, Bhagwat told the BJP chief that the forthcoming Assembly elections in the state must be fought by the party without the kind of support RSS cadres lent it during the Lok Sabha elections. The RSS doesn’t want the BJP to be always dependent on the RSS for electoral success, sources said.
Bhagwat, it is gathered, also told Shah that the party must not do anything that will take a toll on its image. Sources said the advice could have been given in the context of the party’s bid to form government in New Delhi.
During the one-on-one meeting that lasted for about 75 minutes, Shah also invited Bhagwat for his son’s wedding ceremony, the sources said.
Earlier, immediately after his arrival in the city around noon, Shah headed for Deekshabhoomi to pay tributes at the Babasaheb Ambedkar memorial. He then went to state BJP president Devendra Fadnavis residence, where he met a group of party workers. Prominent state BJP leaders Vinod Tawde, Pankaja Munde, Ajay Sancheti, Banwarilal Purohit and city BJP chief Girish Vyas were also present at Fadnavis’s residence. Shah had lunch and a siesta before proceeding for the Smruti Mandir premises, where he paid tributes at RSS founder K B Hedgewar’s and his successor M S Golwalkar’s memorials.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The BJP chief then reached the Sangh Building, the RSS headquarters in Mahal area of the city, where he was closeted with Sarsanghchalak Mohan Bhagwat.
He later flew off to New Delhi in the evening.
There was no briefing about his meetings and Shah avoided media all through the day. Vyas told The Indian Express: “He had to visit Nagpur after becoming party chief. So, he did. It was basically to pay tributes to Ambedkar and Hedgewar and Golwalkar memorials. There was nothing very special to plan and discuss.”