Sikkim Democratic Front (SDF) on Friday stormed to power for the record fifth consecutive term in the state, winning 18 seats in the 32-member state Assembly.
Among the prominent winners was Chief Minister Pawan Chamling, who retained his home seat Namchi-Singhithang, defeating his nearest rival Milan Rai of Sikkim Krantikari Morcha (SKM) by a comfortable margin of 1,084 votes.
Chamling, who was in power for an uninterrupted 20 years, also contested from the Rangang-Yangang seat, the result of which is awaited.
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Audience Reaction: Ranbir, Aishwarya, Anushka Starrer Gets A Thumbs Up
- Bigg Boss 10, October 27 Review: Navin, Lokesh Fights During The Immunity Task
- Shivaay Audience Reaction: Ajay Devgn Impresses Viewers
- Pakistan High Commission Staffer Caught With Defence Documents: What It Means For India & Pakistan
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
There was no opposition in the last term of the state Assembly as SDF had won all the seats.
But this time, the opposition space would be occupied by SKM, which broke away from the SDF and has won three seats so far.
However, Prem Singh Tamang also known as Goley and who had founded the SKM last year, was defeated from the Namthang-Rateypani seat by 1,155 votes.