Sikkim Democratic Front (SDF) on Friday stormed to power for the record fifth consecutive term in the state, winning 18 seats in the 32-member state Assembly.
Among the prominent winners was Chief Minister Pawan Chamling, who retained his home seat Namchi-Singhithang, defeating his nearest rival Milan Rai of Sikkim Krantikari Morcha (SKM) by a comfortable margin of 1,084 votes.
Chamling, who was in power for an uninterrupted 20 years, also contested from the Rangang-Yangang seat, the result of which is awaited.
There was no opposition in the last term of the state Assembly as SDF had won all the seats.
But this time, the opposition space would be occupied by SKM, which broke away from the SDF and has won three seats so far.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
However, Prem Singh Tamang also known as Goley and who had founded the SKM last year, was defeated from the Namthang-Rateypani seat by 1,155 votes.