In fresh revelations in the multi-crore Saradha chit fund scam case, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) has unearthed that ‘benami’ land and a liquor bar, worth over Rs 60 crore, at prime locations of Kolkata were purchased by laundering investors’ funds.
The central agency has gathered documents which unravel purchase of close to 68 acres of land in attractive locations of the West Bengal capital through ‘benami’ transactions, and no official land registration was available for the alleged illegal purchases.
This is the first time that a probe agency has found trails of some large-scale ‘benami’ (unnamed) assets in this case which has created a furore amongst lakhs of investors. Such assets are usually created by perpetrators of a fraud enterprise to escape the tax net.
Sources privy to the development said that the agency sleuths have cracked some e-mails and cell phone communication of some ‘key’ people involved in the case, including those of Shubojit, son of the main accused of the ponzi scheme scam Sudipta Sen.
The estimated market value of these assets is close to about Rs 60 crore.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
The agency, sources said, has now approached the West Bengal Land and Revenue Department authorities and some banks that would be able to give out some relevant details of the purchase of these properties.
Purchase of a popular liquor bar by laundering investors’ funds by a few individuals involved in the case has also been detected, which is under the scanner of the agency, which has stepped up its probe in the case in the past few days.
The ED’s zonal office in Kolkata has also seized a bank locker containing gold ornaments in a prominent private bank which will be soon attached under the provisions of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act.