Worried over the rising influence of Hyderabad MP and All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi among Muslim voters in Uttar Pradesh, the Samajwadi Party has joined hands with Hyderabad-based outfit Majlis Bachao Tehreek (MBT) — a splinter group of the AIMIM.
The SP’s Telangana unit, led by its Maharashtra president Abu Azmi, staged a joint dharna with MBT leaders Saturday in Hyderabad, demanding an inquiry into the encounter killings of five alleged SIMI men in Telangana on April 7. Last month, Azmi had given Rs 4 lakh each to the families of three of these men.
- Mecca Masjid blast acquittals: Will provide legal assistance if family of victims want to appeal verdict, says MIM chief Owaisi
- Karnataka elections: AIMIM won’t field candidates, to back JDS
- Karnataka elections 2018: Asaduddin Owaisi’s AIMIM will not contest, to support JD(S)
- Triple talaq Bill injustice to Muslim women, oppose it, says Asaduddin Owaisi
- Triple talaq bill a tactic to punish Muslim men, says Asaduddin Owaisi
- Asaduddin Owaisi learns from past, plans UP visit but no ‘public gathering’, to stay ‘indoors’
Sources in SP said Saturday’s dharna “serves a dual purpose” — it shows that the party stands in solidarity with the five men killed in the encounter and exposes Owaisi, they said.
“He (Owaisi) fools Muslims with his claim of reaching UP within one hour of any incident but he never turned up when five Muslim youths were murdered by the police in his state. His party is part of the government yet he remained silent,” Azmi said while speaking to The Sunday Express over phone.
He also claimed that Owaisi “only misguides Muslims with his oratory skills and fiery speeches”. “He is, in fact, doing more harm to the community by dividing secular votes,” the SP leader said.
MBT leader Amjadullah Khan termed AIMIM “an agent of the RSS which plays the role of dividing Muslim votes”.
The AIMIM has already set up active units in Uttar Pradesh’s 52 districts.
Abu Azmi booked for ‘provocative’ speech
Hyderabad: Samajwadi Party leader Abu Azmi and two leaders of Majlis Bachao Tahreek were booked Saturday for allegedly giving provocative speeches and promoting enmity between different groups on the grounds of religion, police said. Azmi and the others were speaking at an event here Friday night. PTI