Launching a scathing attack on Akali-BJP government, Sonia Gandhi on Saturday charged ruling regime in Punjab with involvement in illegal activities like drug smuggling.
“BJP Akalis are filling their pockets. They are now indulging in every illegal work like drug smuggling, sand mining, goond tax,” she said while campaigning for Congress candidate Vijay Inder Singla from Sangrur seat.
Accusing the ruling regime in Punjab of failing in curbing growing drug menace in the state, she said, “youths in Punjab have become addicted to drugs. Your government is not concerned about it at all.”
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
- PM Modi Meets New Zealand Prime Minister John Key
- Ex-Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul Left Behind “Secret Notes” Before He Was Found Hanging: Rajkhowa
- Big Relief For Former Karnataka CM BS Yeddyurappa: Here’s Why
- Missing For Three Days, JNU Student Found Dead In Hostel Room
- Bigg Boss 10: Review Of October 25 Episode
- Delhi Government’s Rs 200 Crore Riverfront Plan: Find Out More
- School in Jammu & Kashmir’s Bandipore District Set on Fire
- Ajay Devgn On The Making Of Shivaay: Exclusive Interview
- Bodies Of Maoists Killed In Malkangiri Encounter, One Of The Biggest Such Operations
Combative Gandhi also chastised Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal for not taking adequate steps to contain this menace.
“Yeh Badal sahib Garajna jaante hain barasna nahin jante (Badal knows how to talk loud but does not deliver),” she said adding, “They (SAD-BJP) forget everything after securing power”.
Congress President also accused ruling party of its misrule which led the state on the verge of facing bankruptcy. “Punjab has now turned bankrupt under Akali-BJP regime. This government cannot pay salary for three months. Old age persons are not getting pensions,” she alleged.
Congress led UPA government implemented sixth pay commission and even constituted seventh pay commission for government employees, while listing out Centre’s achievements. Gandhi also described SAD-BJP regime having completely failed in initiating welfare programmes for Dalits in the state.
“In Punjab, Akali BJP has not filled even reserved posts for Dalits. A little amount has been earmarked in Punjab’s plan budget for Dalits welfare and even that could not be spent,” she said.
“Now, you can imagine, how much BJP Akali regime is serious about Dalit welfare,” she said.