Launching a scathing attack on Akali-BJP government, Sonia Gandhi on Saturday charged ruling regime in Punjab with involvement in illegal activities like drug smuggling.
“BJP Akalis are filling their pockets. They are now indulging in every illegal work like drug smuggling, sand mining, goond tax,” she said while campaigning for Congress candidate Vijay Inder Singla from Sangrur seat.
Accusing the ruling regime in Punjab of failing in curbing growing drug menace in the state, she said, “youths in Punjab have become addicted to drugs. Your government is not concerned about it at all.”
Combative Gandhi also chastised Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal for not taking adequate steps to contain this menace.
“Yeh Badal sahib Garajna jaante hain barasna nahin jante (Badal knows how to talk loud but does not deliver),” she said adding, “They (SAD-BJP) forget everything after securing power”.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Congress President also accused ruling party of its misrule which led the state on the verge of facing bankruptcy. “Punjab has now turned bankrupt under Akali-BJP regime. This government cannot pay salary for three months. Old age persons are not getting pensions,” she alleged.
Congress led UPA government implemented sixth pay commission and even constituted seventh pay commission for government employees, while listing out Centre’s achievements. Gandhi also described SAD-BJP regime having completely failed in initiating welfare programmes for Dalits in the state.
“In Punjab, Akali BJP has not filled even reserved posts for Dalits. A little amount has been earmarked in Punjab’s plan budget for Dalits welfare and even that could not be spent,” she said.
“Now, you can imagine, how much BJP Akali regime is serious about Dalit welfare,” she said.