Attacking Congress for its 65 years of “misrule”, ruling BJP on Tuesday said it was unthinkable that a national party has to be welcomed as a “regional party” in Lok Sabha but promised to take the opposition party along in the decision-making process.
“We never imagined that we will have to welcome a national party as a regional party in this House…What prompted this to happen? Why this mandate?…People have punished you for your misrule for 65 years,” BJP member Rajiv Pratap Rudy said, initiating a debate on the Motion of Thanks on the President’s address.
His remarks triggered protests from opposition benches, with Rudy saying that since there was no Leader of the Opposition, Congress would not be able to participate in decision-making on major issues like appointment of Chief Vigilance Commissioner, CBI Director or Lokpal.
Earlier, Sushma Swaraj (as the Leader of the Opposition) used to give her views, but the then Prime Minister used to have his way. But we will not leave you behind, we will take you along. This is our promise. Our Prime Minister (Narendra Modi) is large-hearted,” Rudy said.
He, however, said Congress party’s suggestions would not be accepted “if you give suggestions which reflect the way in which you had been running the country for 65 years”.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
As the din continued, Speaker Sumitra Mahajan appealed for order and Parliamentary Affairs Minister M Venkaiah Naidu urged members not to create any disturbance as it was “the first working day” of the session.
To this, some Congress members shouted “you never allowed anyone to speak earlier.”
Trinamool Congress and CPI(M) members were also on their feet, with some of them urging the Speaker to direct Rudy to speak on the Motion and not digress.