The Election Commission Monday issued a notice to BJP general secretary Amit Shah for prima facie violation of model code of conduct by making communal references while campaigning in riot-hit parts of west UP recently. The EC move comes a day after two FIRs were lodged against Shah, a close aide of BJP’s PM candidate Narendra Modi.
The Commission has asked the BJP leader to explain by Wednesday why action should not be initiated against him for making objectionable statements during speeches delivered in Muzaffarnagar, Bijnor and Shamli districts, UP Chief Electoral Officer Umesh Sinha said.
“The commission is, prima facie, of the opinion that…you have violated the provisions of model code of conduct… Therefore, the commission gives you an opportunity to explain your stand in making the above said statement before 5 pm on April 9, 2014, failing which the EC shall take a decision without further reference to you,” the notice said, while mentioning his objectionable remarks made at three places.
In riot-hit Muzaffarnagar, Shah on Thursday told Jats: “This election is about voting out the government that protects and gives compensation to those who killed Jats. It is about badla (revenge) and protecting izzat (honour).”
The Commission also mentioned Shah’s alleged statements made in Bijnor against BSP chief Mayawati and Dalits. “Behen Mayawati ne ek varg vishesh ka vote pane ke liye, jo aapki pratarana karta hai, aapki behen betiyon ki avhelna karta hai, unki aabru par hath daalta hai, us varg vishesh ko 19 ticket de diye (In order to get the votes of a particular community, which harasses you, flouts your sisters daughters, tries to violate their dignity, Behen Mayawati has given 19 tickets to that community).
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016