- ‘Right now, it’s gaali-galoch ka politics; I say CCTV cameras, they call me a bandar’, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Upadhyay to cadre: Accept Bedi for Modi
- 230 crorepatis, 114 with criminal cases in fray: ADR
- Shah sells Modi dreams, says once here, we stay
- Drone showers petals, supporters ‘crown’ Kejriwal in Northeast Delhi
- Delhi has 695 critical polling stations: Election Commission
- Last lap, nervous BJP calls party to Delhi, for Delhi
Ravneet Bittu is Congress candidate from Ludhiana
Ending suspense over Ludhiana seat, Congress fielded sitting Anandpur Sahib MP, Ravneet Singh Bittu from Ludhiana Parliamentary constituency.
Bittu is the grandson of former Punjab chief minister Beant Singh. Bittu’s candidature for the seat came after Union minister Manish Tewari said a final no to contest the elections from Ludhiana.
Congress workers stated that Bittu will cover up the lost time and that Tewari had discouraged them a lot by taking too long in deciding that he will not be contesting this time.
“We are more than happy to welcome him. He is a local face and it is more a homecoming for him. Now Congress will be taking Akalis with a bang,” senior Congress leader KK Bawa said.
Varun Mehta, another Congressmen said, “We were sure of his ticket, so we had already planned so many meetings in advance.”
After Tewari’s denial, Ludhiana Congress had demanded a local face.
Bittu, is a two-time MP from Anandpur Sahib and his name was announced for Anandpur Sahib in the first list of Congress. However, a few days back, Ambika Soni replaced him and he was finally sent to Ludhiana.