Former Health Minister and PMK leader Ambumani Ramadoss on Thursday demanded 200 per cent tax on tobacco products and complete prohibition in the country on the lines of Gujarat.
Participating in the debate on the union Budget in the Lok Sabha, Ramadoss said as Gujarat has imposed total prohibition, Prime Minister Narendra Modi should implement the same in the country. The PMK is an NDA ally.
Ramadoss said tax should be imposed not only on cigarette but also bidi and other tobacco products. He said a uniform tax of 200 per cent should be imposed on tobacco products. He said government should also provide more funds for education and toilets in schools as poor sanitation facilities in schools was one of the reasons of high dropout rate of girls.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
Participating in the debate, BJD’s Tathagata Satpathy said the Narendra Modi government has upped the expectations of the people. He said now was the time for the government to “shake, rattle and roll” the magic wand. “We are with you. Not for you, but for the country,” he said.
Meanwhile, Saugata Roy (TMC) raised a point of order that not many union ministers were present during the debate. “Is it only Arun Jaitley’s budget? See the treasury benches are empty,” he said.
Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Thawar Chand Gehlot pointed that ministers and BJP members were present in the House, leading to a war of words between BJP and opposition benches.
BJP’s Poonam Mahajan, in her maiden speech, attacked the previous UPA government over the state of the economy.
“UPA would say that it has no magic wand to correct the situation. Our government also does not have any magic wand.
But what is needed is a whip to ensure fiscal discipline and bring the economy back on track,” said the first-time MP and daughter of late BJP leader Pramod Mahajan.