The first list of governors is ready with the government which has the names of at least five senior BJP leaders. The names that have been finalised by the BJP top brass after several weeks of brainstorming sessions are former Uttar Pradesh speaker Kesri Nath Tripathi, senior Delhi BJP leader V K Malhotra, former Bhopal MP Kailash Joshi, senior party leader from Punjab Balaram Das Tandon and former petroleum minister Ram Naik.
While Naik is tipped to be governor of Uttar Pradesh, Malhotra is likely to head to Kolkata Raj Bhavan. Official sources said a formal notification of their appointment will be issued by Rashtrapati Bhavan soon.
PM Narendra Modi and Home Minister Rajnath Singh are said to have discussed the issue two days ago and shortlisted the names Naik told PTI in Mumbai that the party leadership had approached him to accept the post of Governor of Uttar Pradesh, to which he agreed. “I was asked by my party to accept the position of the Governor of UP and I said yes. It is a challenging job.”
Following the new regime’s pressure, six governors have already resigned. Besides B L Joshi (UP) and M K Narayanan (West Bengal), they are Shekhar Dutt (Chhattisgarh), Ashwani Kumar (Nagaland), B V Wanchoo (Goa) and Vakkom B Purushothaman (Mizoram). Two governors — H R Bhardwaj (Karnataka) and Devanand Konwar (Tripura) — retired last month, while Friday Lt Governor of Puducherry Virendra Kataria was sacked by the government.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More