- Maha defeat for Congress
- Despite odds, a consolation
- NOTA beats smaller parties, tribals use it most
- Power shift: BJP may eye co-operative bodies next
- At 88, PWP MLA Ganpatrao Deshmukh wins his 11th Assembly polls
- Many BJP ‘imports’ fail election test despite Modi rallies
- Corruption taint spurs INLD debacle, Chautala scion loses
Rally was organised at the insistence of Annaji, says Mamata Banerjee
Trinamool Congress Chief Mamata Banerjee on Friday said that the joint rally, which was skipped by social activist Anna Hazare two days ago, was actually organised at the insistence of the anti-corruption crusader.
“It was not our rally. It was organised at the insistence of Annaji. It was not a Trinamool Congress rally,” the West Bengal Chief Minister told a news channel.
Hazare on Friday said he had skipped the ‘joint’ rally here with the Trinamool Congress chief because even 4000 people had not come to attend it and he had been misled. He expressed support for Banerjee but ruled out any backing for her party in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.
On the lukewarm response the rally got, Banerjee said that she has even done rallies with just 5-6 people at the time when Indira Gandhi had lost elections.
“When Indira Gandhi lost the elections (in 1977) we used to come out with rallies comprising 5-6 people. Do not forget that. We can conduct a rally with 2 people as well,” she added.