Taking the battle to late Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh’s home turf of Latur on Wednesday, BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi raked up the alleged murder of Youth Congress leader Kalpana Giri to target the Congress.
“Such incidents, where a woman’s modesty is outraged and she is killed, displays the decline in the moral character of the Congress leaders,” said Modi. “Several years ago a Congress leader killed his wife and burnt her body in a tandoor. From tandoor to Latur, it exposes the mindset of the Congress leaders,” he said, adding, “What right does Congress president Sonia Gandhi have to speak about women?”
The BJP played to the gallery, getting Kalpana Giri’s parents to hand over a memorandum about her alleged murder to Modi.
Modi was campaigning for BJP candidate Sunil Gaikwad, who is contesting against the Congress’s Dattatreya Bansode. While Deshmukh’s son and Congress MLA, Amit, has inherited his political legacy, this will be a litmus test for him — it is the first Lok Sabha polls after Deshmukh’s death.
Modi also targeted NCP chief Sharad Pawar. “He is suddenly getting very fond of me and remembering me too often. Let me also remember him,” he said. Highlighting the plight of farmers in Latur, the hub of tur dal cultivation, he said the UPA government had failed to look after their welfare.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Addressing another rally in Sangli, known as the sugar belt of Maharashtra, Modi again hit out at Pawar. He said the Congress-NCP alliance was advocating “Mar Jawan, Mar Kisan” slogan, and was not bothered about the farmers’ suicides.
He also criticised “dynasty politics” — the Congress has ruled the belt since 1967.
The sitting MP is Pratik Patil, whose late grandfather was Chief Minister Vasantdada Patil. “Dynasty politics is a hurdle to development in the region and I see no development,” he said. The seat has remained with the Patil family for the last four terms.
The BJP has fielded Sanjay Patil, who was earlier with the NCP. With the Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatana joining the alliance, the BJP leadership is hoping to put up a tough fight.