- ‘Right now, it’s gaali-galoch ka politics; I say CCTV cameras, they call me a bandar’, says Arvind Kejriwal
- Upadhyay to cadre: Accept Bedi for Modi
- 230 crorepatis, 114 with criminal cases in fray: ADR
- Shah sells Modi dreams, says once here, we stay
- Drone showers petals, supporters ‘crown’ Kejriwal in Northeast Delhi
- Delhi has 695 critical polling stations: Election Commission
- Last lap, nervous BJP calls party to Delhi, for Delhi
Rajnath Singh does a Sonia Gandhi, meets top Shia clerics in Lucknow
In an apparent attempt to garner support of Muslims ahead of Lok Sabha polls, BJP President and party nominee from Lucknow seat Rajnath Singh met prominent clerics of the community here.
Singh along with sitting MP Lalji Tandon and Mayor Dinesh Sharma last night met vice-president of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board Maulana Kalbe Sadiq and Maulana Kalbe Jawwad, Maulana Hameeudul Hassan, Maulana Yasoob Abbas and Maulana Khalid Rasheed Farangi Mahali, party sources said.
Talking about the meet, Tandon today said, “These are courtesy meetings. Every candidate meets prominent people of different sections of society and seek their support.”
He claimed there was no political discussion at the meet during which the clerics discussed problems faced by the Muslims and emphasised on the need for special opportunity for the community in the field of education.
Maulana Farangi Mahali said the meeting was held in a good atmosphere during which discussions took place on the issues related to Muslims.
He said Singh had old relations with his father and had been visiting him even when he was the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.