BJP chief Rajnath Singh on Wednesday met senior party leader L K Advani in a bid to make him agree to Narendra Modi’s candidature as the party’s Prime Ministerial nominee ahead of the next general election,but appears to have got no assurance of his support on the issue.
The BJP President had a 30-minute meeting at Advani’s residence today afternoon on the issue which the Parliamentary Party chief is opposed to. Advani had announced his resignation from all BJP posts immediately after Modi was anointed as head of the party’s election Campaign Committee,but was convinced by RSS to withdraw it.
However,indications are that Singh’s efforts in convincing Advani on Modi’s candidature have not borne fruit as the BJP patriarch has not given any assurance on it.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
While stepping up efforts on the issue of announcing Modi’s name,former BJP President Nitin Gadkari had met Advani as an emissary of RSS yesterday. Gadkari left for Nagpur on Tuesday itself to convey Advani’s thinking to RSS,which has its headquarters there.
Gadkari visited Advani at his residence here and held a short meeting with the senior leader to convince him on Modi’s name and agree to a date for convening a meeting of the Parliamentary Board before September 17,party sources said.
Advani,Leader of the Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj,and Murli Manohar Joshi reportedly have reservations on declaring Modi as the PM candidate before the Assembly elections in Madhya Pradesh,Chhattisgarh,Rajasthan,Delhi and Mizoram.
RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat had last month held a dinner meeting with Advani and Swaraj to discuss this issue. Earlier,RSS General Secretary Suresh Bhaiyyaji Joshi had also met Advani and Swaraj separately to convince them on Modi.
It is not clear whether Advani has had a change of heart. However,the decision on when to hold the Parliamentary Board meeting is still hanging fire,the sources said.
Consensus on a suitable date when all members of BJP’s highest decision-making body are present is being worked out.
While BJP and RSS top brass have indicated that any delay in announcing Modi as the PM candidate will not be good for the party,efforts are on for a unanimous decision after taking Advani,Swaraj and Joshi on board.
Modi’s supporters in the BJP top brass are keen that the announcement be made before his birthday on September 17.