Even before he assumes charge, new Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday got down to business and directed Home Secretary Anil Goswami to prepare a detailed presentation on the country’s internal security situation and other key issues.
Singh, who is likely to take charge of the ministry on Thursday, was briefed by the home secretary on various issues concerning the ministry.
“The Home Secretary today briefed me on certain important issues pertaining to the Ministry of Home Affairs. I have asked him to prepare a detailed presentation,” Singh tweeted after the meeting that lasted for more than half-an-hour.
The 62-year-old Singh, who was elected from the Lucknow Lok Sabha seat, succeeds Sushilkumar Shinde in the crucial ministry which handles the country’s internal security and the task of guarding its international border with Pakistan, China, Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan. The immediate issues that the teacher-turned-politician will have to deal with include tackling the Naxal violence, activities of terrorist outfits in the country’s hinterland, infiltration from Pakistan, illegal immigration from Bangladesh and strengthening of the intelligence-gathering mechanism.
As Home Minister, the two-term BJP president will be part of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led Cabinet Committee on Security, the country’s highest decision-making body on security matters.
During the day, Singh met ailing former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and senior BJP leader LK Advani besides attending the first Cabinet meeting of the NDA government. “After meeting Atalji going to meet Advaniji and seek his blessings before starting my new innings as Union Minister for Home Affairs,” he tweeted.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016