Even before he assumes charge, new Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Tuesday got down to business and directed Home Secretary Anil Goswami to prepare a detailed presentation on the country’s internal security situation and other key issues.
Singh, who is likely to take charge of the ministry on Thursday, was briefed by the home secretary on various issues concerning the ministry.
“The Home Secretary today briefed me on certain important issues pertaining to the Ministry of Home Affairs. I have asked him to prepare a detailed presentation,” Singh tweeted after the meeting that lasted for more than half-an-hour.
The 62-year-old Singh, who was elected from the Lucknow Lok Sabha seat, succeeds Sushilkumar Shinde in the crucial ministry which handles the country’s internal security and the task of guarding its international border with Pakistan, China, Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan. The immediate issues that the teacher-turned-politician will have to deal with include tackling the Naxal violence, activities of terrorist outfits in the country’s hinterland, infiltration from Pakistan, illegal immigration from Bangladesh and strengthening of the intelligence-gathering mechanism.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
As Home Minister, the two-term BJP president will be part of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led Cabinet Committee on Security, the country’s highest decision-making body on security matters.
During the day, Singh met ailing former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee and senior BJP leader LK Advani besides attending the first Cabinet meeting of the NDA government. “After meeting Atalji going to meet Advaniji and seek his blessings before starting my new innings as Union Minister for Home Affairs,” he tweeted.