With the BJP throwing huge resources into Varanasi, the local Congress unit has asked the party leadership to send “reinforcements” in the form of financial support, star campaigners and campaign material.
While Congress candidate Ajay Rai, who is pitted against BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi and AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal, has been fighting the election on the “local” versus “outsiders” plank, none of the top Congress leaders have campaigned for him so far.
The party’s district unit has already written to the Congress leadership in this connection. On Sunday, a letter, purportedly written by Rai to party president Sonia Gandhi, listing the names of star campaigners he wanted, was also released to the media. However, Rai on Monday said the letter had been a “mistake”.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“This letter was not sent to anybody. It has been dropped. It was wrongly sent without any discussion,” he said. The letter asked the party leadership to rope in Gujarat leaders who could “expose” the “Gujarat model”. It also said road shows should cover areas dominated by minorities.
Rai’s aide said the letter had not been signed, and was released to the media due to a “blunder”.
“But the district party president has already written a letter in this regard a few days ago,” he said.
“We have requested for programmes of the Congress president and vice-president, including road shows and rallies. Several names of leaders and campaigners have been sent. We are waiting for confirmation,” Varanasi district Congress president Praja Nath Sharma said. He also confirmed that they have sought more funds.
Asked if the party had left him to fight the battle on his own, Rai said, “The party is supporting me. We are fighting hard.”