With the BJP throwing huge resources into Varanasi, the local Congress unit has asked the party leadership to send “reinforcements” in the form of financial support, star campaigners and campaign material.
While Congress candidate Ajay Rai, who is pitted against BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi and AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal, has been fighting the election on the “local” versus “outsiders” plank, none of the top Congress leaders have campaigned for him so far.
The party’s district unit has already written to the Congress leadership in this connection. On Sunday, a letter, purportedly written by Rai to party president Sonia Gandhi, listing the names of star campaigners he wanted, was also released to the media. However, Rai on Monday said the letter had been a “mistake”.
“This letter was not sent to anybody. It has been dropped. It was wrongly sent without any discussion,” he said. The letter asked the party leadership to rope in Gujarat leaders who could “expose” the “Gujarat model”. It also said road shows should cover areas dominated by minorities.
Rai’s aide said the letter had not been signed, and was released to the media due to a “blunder”.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“But the district party president has already written a letter in this regard a few days ago,” he said.
“We have requested for programmes of the Congress president and vice-president, including road shows and rallies. Several names of leaders and campaigners have been sent. We are waiting for confirmation,” Varanasi district Congress president Praja Nath Sharma said. He also confirmed that they have sought more funds.
Asked if the party had left him to fight the battle on his own, Rai said, “The party is supporting me. We are fighting hard.”