Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Saturday held a road show in Sultanpur, where his cousin Varun Gandhi is contesting on a BJP ticket, ahead of filing his nomination from Amethi constituency which will go to the polls on May 7.
Congress president Sonia Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi, Robert Vadra and senior leader and family loyalist Capt Satish Sharma and UPCC chief Nirmal Khatri accompanied him.
Rahul will be reaching Amethi along with party supporters after participating in the roadshow on a 42-km stretch between Amhart in Sultanpur and Gauriganj in Amethi.
The event has evoked curiosity as this is for the first time Rahul is organising such a political campaign from a constituency where another Gandhi family member if fighting against a Congress candidate.
Rahul’s cousin Varun Gandhi is the BJP candidate from Sultanpur. He is pitted against Congress nominee Amita Singh, wife of Rajya Sabha MP Sanjay Singh, who had won from the seat in 2009.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Rahul’s roadshow covered 16-km distance in Sultanpur parliamentary constituency. Locals say it is quite unusual that a Gandhi family member is carrying out such a political procession in support of party candidate against another family member. They have so far refrained from campaigning in each other’s constituency.
Amita along with husband also received Gandhi at the airport in Sultanpur and accompanied him in the roadshow.
Varun, who is the son of Maneka and Sanjay Gandhi, had contested the last Lok Sabha seat from Pilbhit and won by over three lakh votes. After shifting to Sultanpur seat, he has been reaching out to people telling them that Sultanpur was the ‘karmbhoomi” of his late father.
Varun has not mentioned BJP prime Minister pick Narendra Modi’s name in his campaigning so far. The neighbouring two constituencies are represented by Sonia and Rahul.
The Gandhi family travelling in a white SUV received a warm welcome from people who showered flower petals and raised slogans in their favour.
Sonia and Rahul Gandhi paid a visit to a local resident Kamruddin in Panha village and asked about his family’s well being.
In an informal chat in Dhammaur area, Priyanka was queried about BJP fielding Smriti Irani against Rahul.
“Everyone who comes to Amethi is welcome. There is an arrangement in democracy for everyone to contest election”, she said.
When asked whether she expects Rahul to win by bigger margin, she replied “it will all be known later”.