Targeting Narendra Modi over his remarks that he wants to be a ‘chowkidar’ (watchman) of the country, Rahul Gandhi on Thursday said sometimes a chowkidar also “indulges in theft” so the “keys” of the country cannot be given to just one person.
Raking up snoopgate issue, Gandhi also questioned the BJP’s claim to work for empowerment of women, saying in Gujarat policemen “are sent behind women” while their workers beat women in Karnataka in the name of moral policing and their “MLAs watch porn” on mobile phone in Assembly.
Addressing a public rally in this Congress bastion, Gandhi said there is a “big difference” between Congress and BJP which is reflected in the fact that while Modi seeks support of people saying he wants to become a chowkidar of the country, Congress wants to make crores of people the country’s ‘chowkidar’.
“We want to hand over the keys of the country to crores of people of the nation. You people need not one chowkidar.
There are already several big chowkidars and they needed to be removed and this is why we empower you with right to information and MGNREGA,” Gandhi told the gathering.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
“We are different in thoughts. BJP says that give the keys of the country to him, make him chowkidar and everything will be fine… But sometimes chowkidar also indulges in theft but if there are crores of chowkidar, they will not let this (theft) happen,” he barbed at Modi.
Gandhi, who was addressing the meeting in support of the party candidate from Jhunjhunu Rajbala Ola, targeted Modi and BJP over snoopgate in Gujarat and the party’s call for women empowerment.
“I saw a BJP poster which said they wanted to empower women. There are talks of Gujarat model. People say there is a lot of progress in Gujarat. But in Gujarat, policemen are sent behind women, women’s phones are tapped by policemen.
“Their workers beat women in Karnataka in the name of moral policing, their MLAs watch porn on mobile phone in Chhattisgarh Assembly, their leader went to jail on rape charges… They oppose women reservation bill in Parliament…How can they talk about women empowerment?,” he asked.
Gandhi said that BJP’s “balloon” got burst in 2004 and 2009 elections due to “stones thrown by farmers” and this time again the party has brought a balloon, “filled with Gujarat Model…But the important question is that what they did for weaker and poor people?” he questioned.
Gandhi said that Congress has taken several decisions in the interest of farmers and empowered them along with women.
“Loans worth Rs 70,000 crore were waived by UPA government. Doors of banks were opened for farmers and women, and several other works for their empowerment were undertaken by the government,” he said.
He also said that Congress wants to open 2,000 women police stations.