Targeting Narendra Modi over his remarks that he wants to be a ‘chowkidar’ (watchman) of the country, Rahul Gandhi on Thursday said sometimes a chowkidar also “indulges in theft” so the “keys” of the country cannot be given to just one person.
Raking up snoopgate issue, Gandhi also questioned the BJP’s claim to work for empowerment of women, saying in Gujarat policemen “are sent behind women” while their workers beat women in Karnataka in the name of moral policing and their “MLAs watch porn” on mobile phone in Assembly.
Addressing a public rally in this Congress bastion, Gandhi said there is a “big difference” between Congress and BJP which is reflected in the fact that while Modi seeks support of people saying he wants to become a chowkidar of the country, Congress wants to make crores of people the country’s ‘chowkidar’.
- Varun Gandhi Under Attack Over Defence Deals: Here’s How
- This Diwali, Let Blind Students Brighten Up your Homes With Candles & Diyas
- CBI Files Supplementary Chargesheet In Sheena Bora Murder Case
- Soha Ali Khan And Vir Das Starrer 31st October Audience Reaction
- Sahara Chief Subrata Roy’s Parole Extended Till November 28
- Simple Tips To Secure Your Debit Card From Fraudsters
- New Zealand & India Team Being Welcomed In Chandigarh
- Mumbai Call Centre Scam: All You Need To Know
- Jammu Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti Appeals To Police: Here’s What She Said
- Shocker From Ahmedabad: Find Out What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 Day 3 Review: Celebs Fail To Do Well in First Task
- Airtel Offers 10GB Data At Rs 259 For New 4G Smartphone Users
- Aamir Khan Starrer Dangal’s Trailer Launched: First Impressions
- TMC Supporters Attack BJP Leader Babul Supriyo
- Sri Lankan Navy Apprehends 20 Indian Fishermen
“We want to hand over the keys of the country to crores of people of the nation. You people need not one chowkidar.
There are already several big chowkidars and they needed to be removed and this is why we empower you with right to information and MGNREGA,” Gandhi told the gathering.
“We are different in thoughts. BJP says that give the keys of the country to him, make him chowkidar and everything will be fine… But sometimes chowkidar also indulges in theft but if there are crores of chowkidar, they will not let this (theft) happen,” he barbed at Modi.
Gandhi, who was addressing the meeting in support of the party candidate from Jhunjhunu Rajbala Ola, targeted Modi and BJP over snoopgate in Gujarat and the party’s call for women empowerment.
“I saw a BJP poster which said they wanted to empower women. There are talks of Gujarat model. People say there is a lot of progress in Gujarat. But in Gujarat, policemen are sent behind women, women’s phones are tapped by policemen.
“Their workers beat women in Karnataka in the name of moral policing, their MLAs watch porn on mobile phone in Chhattisgarh Assembly, their leader went to jail on rape charges… They oppose women reservation bill in Parliament…How can they talk about women empowerment?,” he asked.
Gandhi said that BJP’s “balloon” got burst in 2004 and 2009 elections due to “stones thrown by farmers” and this time again the party has brought a balloon, “filled with Gujarat Model…But the important question is that what they did for weaker and poor people?” he questioned.
Gandhi said that Congress has taken several decisions in the interest of farmers and empowered them along with women.
“Loans worth Rs 70,000 crore were waived by UPA government. Doors of banks were opened for farmers and women, and several other works for their empowerment were undertaken by the government,” he said.
He also said that Congress wants to open 2,000 women police stations.