Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi on Tuesday said his prime focus is to uplift the lot of 70 crore-strong working class engaged in the country’s unorganised sector.
He also regretted the attempts to stall the crucial Women’s Reservation Bill in Parliament and blamed the opposition for it. Addressing an election rally, Gandhi detailed the achievements of the Congress-led UPA government in improving the standards of poor people during its ten-year rule at the Centre.
“There are about 70 crore people in India, who are employed in a variety of jobs including as electricians and security guards. We want to uplift them,” he said. He claimed that 15 crore people below poverty Line (BPL) were pulled out from that category during the UPA rule.
“We will fight for poor. We have taken out 15 crorepeople from the below poverty category to above poverty category, which is five times more than the NDA record. We want to help you,” he stressed. Vowing to make India a super power, he expressed concern over the delay in bringing reservation for women in Parliament.
“We want to convert ‘Hindustan’ into a super power. But without the empowerment of women, it cannot be done. We want 33 per cent reservation for women in Parliament. But who is preventing it? It is NDA and the opposition. We had done it in local bodies we will do it for you,” he said. Gandhi also said 2000 women police stations should be set up across the country.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review