Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi on Saturday said the agenda of the Congress to lift 17 crore people in the country, who are above the BPL, to the middle class.
Beginning his one-day Kerala leg of campaigning in Kasargode, Gandhi said over the last 10 years, the UPA government has taken 15 crore people out of poverty. “I wanted to say what Congress would do after the elections in 2014. There are around 17 crore people who are just above the poverty line. These people like drivers, plumbers are those who really move the country forward. We are going to make these people middle class,” said Gandhi.
He said the Congress wanted to open health and education sectors to these people. “We want to give their children opportunity to go to colleges and universities for higher studies. We want to bring in more medical colleges to every corner of the country,” he said.
Blaming that the real aim of BJP is to make people fight, take wealth and hand it over to a few people, Gandhi said it is only Congress which can balance between prosperity and justice. Congress tries to reduce anger in society, but BJP wants to ignite it.
The UPA government has brought in the right to education and food security act targeting everyone irrespective of the state where you live, irrespective of caste and who are you. All these rights have been ensured for all. The Congress wanted to give Lokpal and jobs for youngsters, said the Congress vice-president.
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swami Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
Referring to BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi’s comment that “make me chowkidar (security guard) of the country,” Gandhi said Congress does not want point out a single person as the country’s security guard. Everybody is the chowkidar of the country, he said.
Referring to Kerala politics, where party’s arch rival CPI (M) is in the dock for political violence, Gandhi said there should not be any place for violence in state politics. “CPI (M) is not going to play any role in national politics. In Kerala, if you vote for CPI (M), you are indirectly helping the BJP,” said Gandhi.