- BJP poses five questions to AAP, Kejriwal says let’s debate
- In last leg, BJP goes back to Modi
- In Swachh Bharat times, BJP leaves a mess in Paharganj
- In Batla House, Muslim leader from Gujarat backs Modi, BJP
- Okhla’s election battle rests on what lies six feet under
- Lawyer files complaint against Kejriwal for ‘abetting bribery’
- Congress, BJP workers defect to AAP
Like Rahul, Mamata should also be more critical of Modi: Imam
Accusing BJP’s Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi of being an “opportunist“, prominent city cleric Maulana Barkati on Tuesday asked Trinamool Congress leader Mamata Banerjee to be more critical of Modi in order to prove her secular credentials.
The Imam of city’s Tipu Sultan Mosque, Maulana Barkati, told PTI, “We know she is secular, but if Mamata Banerjee wants to prove her secular credentials, she should be more aggressive and critical about Modi. Rahul Gandhi has been critical of Modi, we want Mamata Banerjee also to come out openly in criticising Modi.”
The cleric’s comment comes at a time when all political parties are aggressively trying to woo Muslims for their 28 per cent minority votes, which is a deciding factor for 28-30 seats of the 42 Lok Sabha seats in the state.
Barkati lashed out at Modi for seeking the votes of the Muslim community. “Why is he asking for the votes of Muslims, when he has a problem in wearing the Muslim cap? He should be ashamed about asking for our votes. He is an opportunist,” he charged.