With AAP leader Kumar Vishwas throwing an open challenge to him, Rahul Gandhi on Wednesday said the Congress does not talk but act and in an affectionate gesture invited an old woman to be seated beside him in his car during his visit.
Rahul’s indirect jibe at AAP came even as Vishwas sharpened his attack on the Congress vice president, saying he was in Amethi on a “political picnic” and not to share the “pain” of the people.
Vishwas is likely to contest from Amethi in the upcoming Lok Sabha elections, which is the constituency of Rahul.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Rahul arrived in Amethi along with his sister Priyanka Vadra on a two-day tour on his first visit after he was made the Congress campaign chief for the Lok Sabha elections. After arriving at Fursatganj on Wednesday evening, he walked a little distance on road and met people near the airport.
He later invited an old woman to join him as he left the airport with his sister seated in the car behind.
The woman, who hailed from Rampur, said Rahul had stayed in her house to which the Congress leader, who nodded, said his relationship with her is old.
“We don’t believe in such things…our habit is to deliver,” said Rahul, in a brief chat with newspersons, responsing to a question regarding dharna by Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal.
“A good ambience is out here in Amethi. I have an old relationship with the people of Amethi,” he said, adding, “Amethi is like my home and it is my family”.
Rahul said the party has done good work for the benefit of thousands of women and also in the development of national highways.
He, however, admitted that one thing which has been lacking in Amethi is electricity and roads barring national highways.
“We have faced difficulties on these issues as these fall under the jurisdiction of the state government,” Rahul said.
Rahul said that despite funds provided by the Centre to the Uttar Pradesh government the development of power sector in the state and in Amethi is not upto the mark.
He also said some more developmental works are being executed for which he had come to inaugurate.
Vishwas has been repeatedly targeting Rahul, saying he has done nothing for Amethi.
Around 100 people led by one Reeta Singh waved black flags and raised slogans when Rahul’s motorcade was passing through the dusty roads.
“Rahul is not coming to feel the pain of the people, but he is here on a political picnic. The people of Amethi are feeling cheated,” Vishwas told reporters in Amethi, hours before the Gandhi scion landed at Fursatganj airport.
“The common man needs a reply from Rahul. He should tell us when and where we can meet him.
“We want to talk to him. He must tell us what works are being done in villages.”