While A K Antony’s remarks about doubts in the mind of the people about Congress’ secularism has triggered a debate in the party, party general secretary Digvijaya Singh on Saturday sparked another controversy when he spoke about people practising “politics of convenience in the lust for power” forgetting the ideology of the Congress. This, he said, damages the Congress. He also said Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi by temperament is not a ruling person while reiterating that Rahul should have taken up the responsibility of leading the party in Lok Sabha.
Singh’s comments were seen as his unhappiness over Rahul’s reluctance to take up the responsibility of leading the party in the Lower House. “By temperament, woh sattadhaari vyakti nahin hain. Woh by temperament aisa vyakti hai jo anyaya ke khilaf ladna chaahta hai (he is not a ruling person by temperament…by temperament he is a person who wants to fight injustice),” Singh told a local TV channel in Goa while replying to a question about why Rahul does not accept responsibility.
Later in the day, he clarified he was not questioning Rahul’s leadership abilities or qualities. “No no. Everyone doesn’t hanker after power. Even Mrs Sonia Gandhi…she never took the prime ministership, that is the difference between the family and others,” he said, adding: “He is aggressive when it comes to fighting injustice… He is leading the party.”
Singh said Rahul should have led the party in Lok Sabha. “I can say that in a democracy, opposition space is necessary. Since the Congress is the largest opposition group, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi should have taken up the responsibility.”
Reflecting on the poll debacle, he felt former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should have been more communicative and said the party lost in the “communication and perception war”.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review