Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi attacked India’s political left in it’s last bastion of Tripura on Tuesday saying it’s “political ideology belongs to the previous century”.
“The Left Front is finished in West Bengal. It is almost finished in Kerala. Now we have to finish the left ideology in Tripura,” Gandhi said at a campaign rally in Sipahijali, close to the border with Bangladesh and which falls under the West Tripura Lok Sabha constituency.
Left parties – the ruling CPM and the CPI – together occupy 50 seats in the 60-seat Tripura State Assembly and both LS members from the state belong to the CPM. The Congress occupies 10 state assembly seats and has not won a parliamentary seat from Tripura since 1996.
Targeting female voters, Gandhi also alleged women were not safe in the state and that “gangrapes are taking place”, but “CPM cadres are not punished”.
Targeting tribal voters in Tripura, where about 33 per cent of the population is tribal and one of the two parliamentary seats is reserved for ST candidates, Gandhi also recalled his “I am your sipahi in Delhi” message to Orissa tribals after the Centre halted Vedanta’s plans to mine the Niyamgiri hills and said the Congress “will definitely strengthen” the tribal autonomous council in Tripura.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
Tribal parties have been demanding this, with one having demanded a separate tribal state recently.
Gandhi also lauded the Centre’s various schemes including the Look East Policy that seeks to link the country with neighbouring countries, the MGNREGA and the Food Security legislation and alleged Tripura farmers do not get adequate prices for their produce.