Priyanka Gandhi will herself decide her future role in the Congress, the party indicated on Friday amid renewed talk of a larger role for her.
Priyanka was hailed as a “pillar of strength” behind Rahul and Sonia Gandhi by party spokesman Randeep Surjewala who said that she has herself restricted her role to the Lok Sabha constituencies of her brother and mother.
“On her own calling, Priyanka Gandhi has chosen not to extend her political activity beyond Rae Bareli and Amethi”, Surjewala told reporters in reply to a volley of questions on the issue.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
Asked whether Priyanka’s role in the Congress is expected to grow significantly if the party was defeated in the Lok Sabha elections, he shot back “I do not answer hypothetical questions.”
The remarks of Surjewala came a day after AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi’s statement on Priyanka’s interest in politics early in her life.
“For me this question is meaningless. As far as I know her interest in politics started much earlier. She was keen to understand political developments and the language of politics from the very start.
“I have some proof of this also, but I don’t want to mention it now. All I can say is that Rajiv Gandhi had told me something about this in 1990. That is all for the moment”,
Dwivedi had replied when asked whether Priyanka is now taking more interest in political affairs of the Congress.
Surjewala steered clear of interpreting the statement of Dwivedi noting that the party General Secretary was the “most seasoned and experienced” leader of the Congress.
“Dwivedi will be able to answer your questions more than adequately”, he said.
Early this year, party sources had said that she will coordinate the country-wide tour programmes of Sonia and Rahul.
Priyanka’s meeting with top Congress leaders in January this year at the residence of her brother Rahul had created a flutter in political circles, triggering speculation whether she is in for a major role ahead of the Lok Sabha polls.
At that time, Congress had downplayed the issue of Priyanka’s presence at the meeting, maintaining she has been active in Congress politics and questioned the surprise in political circles over her interaction with senior leaders.