Amid growing demand in Congress for a “larger role” for her, Priyanka Gandhi on Thursday said she will campaign in Rae Bareli and Amethi, the constituencies being represented by her mother Sonia Gandhi and brother Rahul.
Priyanka has been looking after these two constituencies for quite sometime now and there have been demands in the recent past from various quarters in the party that she should extend her role beyond the confines of Rae Bareli and Amethi.
“I will be in Amethi and Rae Bareli,” 42-year-old Priyanka, who was accompanied by husband Robert Vadra, said after casting her vote at a polling booth in Lodhi Estate here.
She was responding to a volley of questions about her campagning.
Party leaders have been maintaining that during every election there is a demand that Priyanka should campaign maximum number of constituencies but she has so far not heeded to such demands.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
Recently, there was a buzz about the possibility of Priyanka taking up a bigger role after she held a meeting with top party leaders at the residence of Rahul here.
However, the party had officiallly downplayed the meeting.
A few days back, senior AICC General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi had talked about Priyanka’s interest in politics early in her life.
Asked whether Priyanka is now taking more interest in political affairs of Congress, he had said, “For me this question is meaningless. As far as I know, her interest in politics started much earlier. She was keen to understand political developments and the language of politics from the very start.
“I have some proof of this also, but I don’t want to mention it now. All I can say is that Rajiv Gandhi had told me something about this in 1990. That is all for the moment”, Dwivedi had replied.
Later, Congress had indicated that Priyanka would herself decide her future role in the party.
Meanwhile, asked whether he would react to various allegations against him, Vadra refused to comment. “No comments,” he said.