President Pranab Mukherjee dissolved the 15th Lok Sabha with immediate effect on Sunday, completing a formality before the constitution of the new House.
“The President accepted the advice of the Cabinet and today signed the Order dissolving the 15th Lok Sabha in exercise of the powers conferred upon him by sub-clause (b) of Clause (2) Article 85 of the Constitution,” said Rashtrapati Bhavan Press Secretary Venu Rajamony.
The outgoing Union Cabinet, in its last meeting on Saturday under Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, had advised the President to dissolve the 15th Lok Sabha with immediate effect.
- Mumbai’s Haji Ali Dargah Trust to SC: Ready to give women access to sanctum sanctorum
- Samajwadi Party Crisis: 5 Quotes By Mulayam Singh Yadav At Press Conference
- Ae Dil Hai Mushkil Vs Shivaay: What Delhites Pick
- Supreme Court Directs Vijay Mallya To Fully Disclose Foreign Assets In 4 Weeks
- 5 Reasons To Watch Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
- BSP Supremo Mayawati Criticises PM Modi Over Triple Talaq: Here’s What She Said
- Google Pixel XL Phone Review: Pros, Cons And Final Verdict
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Says Army donation Is Voluntary
- Rock On 2 Trailer Launch: Farhan Akhtar, Shraddha Kapoor, Prachi Desai On Their Roles
- Cyrus Mistry’s Career Timeline
- Stalker Kills Woman At Metro Station In Gurgaon: Here’s What Happened
- Bigg Boss 10 October 24 Review: Seven Contestants Nominated For Evictions
- Power Struggle In Mulayam’s Party: Here’s What People Reacted
- 1 Dead, 5 Injured In Low Intensity Explosion In Delhi’s Naya Bazaar Area
- Delhi: Naya Bazar Explosion Cctv Footage
After this, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath had called upon the President and handed over a decision of Cabinet with the recommendation.
The BJP secured majority on its own in the elections for the 16th Lok Sabha by winning 282 seats where as Congress could bag only 44.
A three-member Election Commission team headed by Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath will now be submitting the list of 543 newly elected members to the President.