As the clamour for fresh elections in Delhi grows, a new face is set to be launched by the Congress. Sharmistha Mukherjee, daughter of President Pranab Mukherjee, has enrolled as a primary member of the party and is likely to be fielded in the next assembly elections in Delhi.
“I have taken membership of the party from Delhi… about a month ago,” Sharmistha told The Indian Express. Asked whether she would contest elections, she said, “That is the plan, if the party wants me to.”
According to Congress sources, she may be fielded from Greater Kailash — she did not, however, confirm this. Sources said she has been attending Delhi Congress events. Most recently, she was seen at a candlelight march organised to protest power outages in Delhi. She was present at a Congress gherao of Parliament earlier this month.
Shakeel Ahmad, AICC general secretary who is in charge of the Delhi unit, said as soon as the next PCC is constituted, Sharmistha will be accommodated in the party. “She’s an energetic young lady and understands the nitty-gritty of politics since she comes from a political family. We will be happy to use her in the Delhi elections.”
An alumna of St Stephen’s College, Sharmistha is a trained Kathak dancer. Her brother Abhijit is a Lok Sabha member from Jangipur in West Bengal.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
Her decision to enter politics has already given rise to speculation in the Congress, especially among MLAs. “I’m not sure what role she will assume in Delhi but it seems she is interested in contesting elections from the state,” a senior party leader said.