The battle for this Lok Sabha seat is witnessing a poster war even as Premchand Guddu (Congress) and Chintamani Malviya (BJP) take potshots at each other.
Huge hoardings, some of them bordering on defamatory, dominate the skyline of this temple town, a phenomenon not visible in Indore and Dewas, the two nearby towns that also vote on April 24.
Ujjain has remained a BJP bastion for more than two decades, except twice. Sitting Congress MP Premchand Guddu defeated seven-time BJP MP Satyanarayan Jatia in 2009 ending his streak of six consecutive wins. But electioneering has never been so lively here with BJP giving nightmares to Guddu, who has more enemies in his own party than among rivals.
Malviya resigned as university lecturer before taking the electoral plunge. A former RSS volunteer, he faced an identity crisis when campaigning began but in the last few days hoardings with newspaper clippings regarding an old sexual harassment charge against him have surfaced across the town.
“We know who is behind it but we can’t do much,’’ admits Prakash Chittoda, BJP in-charge of one of the eight assembly segments that fall within Ujjain (SC) constituency. He says the hoardings are defamatory and the party will approach the police for appropriate action.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“Wah doctor saab kya doctari hai aapki,’’ goes the punch line on one of the hoardings referring to Malviya’s doctorate and the sexual harassment case.
On the other hand the BJP has questioned Guddu’s educational qualifications. Guddu has responded with hoardings on the professional examination board scam calling it a gift of the Shivraj Singh Chouhan government. Other hoardings take potshots at Malviya for not sharing details of his four children while seeking a university job.
“We highlight national issues like Modi and his decisive leadership. Even committed Congress workers have expressed faith in Modi,’’ says BJP functionary Ramesh Sarda.