Two Election Commission personnel were on Thursday beaten up while they were videographing a bike rally by Trinamool workers at Manikchak in Malda district, inviting the ire of the poll body which has directed authorities to initiate stern action against the accused and file a report on the incident.
Bike rallies are prohibited during election campaign under EC rules.
District election office sources said that the video footage would be examined before filing of any official complaint.
EC director Dhirendra Ojha said in Kolkata that the poll body had taken a serious note of the incident and asked the district administration to submit report of the incident by this evening.
It also asked the DM to submit a detailed report of the incident and the action-taken-report to the Commission by this evening.
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
- Bigg Boss 10 December 5 Review: Manveer Calls Swam Om ‘kachdaa’
- PM Narendra Modi Declared Winner Of TIME Magazine’s Person Of The Year – Reader’s Poll
- Paneerselvam sworn in as new Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu CM J Jayalalithaa Passes Away After Suffering Cardiac Arrest
- J.Jayalalithaa’s Life Journey
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
Eyewitnesses claimed that a four-member team of EC personnel were taking the video footage of the rally as it approached Khayertala of Manikchak when some people from the crowd objected and beat two of them.
The sources said that the Block Development Officer would be probing the incident.
The police, when contacted, said it was yet to get any report of the incident.
Top Commission officials, who met in New Delhi, took serious view of the incident and gave directions to the District Magistrate of Malda to take immediate stern action against the offenders. In a recent meeting attended by Deputy EC Vinod Zutshi, poll officials from West Bengal had expressed fear of violence targeting them during the elections.
The EC had taken a serious note of their complaints and the issue had also come up during a meeting of Chief Election Commissioner V S Sampath and other top EC officials with the state authorities in Kolkata last week, according to the sources.