Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi on Monday offered to step down in the wake of the most humiliating defeat in the history of their party, but the Congress Working Committee expectedly rejected the proposal.
According to senior Congress leader Janardan Dwivedi, who addressed a press conference after the meeting of the party’s highest policymaking body, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had taken the responsibility for “whatever shortcomings existed at the govt level”.
The Congress’s problems would not be solved by the resignations of Sonia and Rahul, Manmohan Singh told the CWC, according to Dwivedi
The CWC had passed a unanimous resolution expressing full faith in the leadership of Sonia and Rahul, and had authorised Sonia to take whatever steps she deemed necessary to revamp the party, Dwivedi said.
Amarinder Singh, one of the few senior Congress leaders who will be in the new Lok Sabha, said, “Sonia and Rahul offered to resign but the CWC rejected it unanimously.” Congress spokesperson Raj Babbar said, “We will fight under the leadership of Rahul Gandhi.”
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
The CWC passed a resolution criticising the communication strategy of the government. It accepted the verdict of the people, and said both the government and party must share the responsibility for the rout.
Through the day, Congress leaders sought to throw a protective shield around Sonia and Rahul, saying “everyone” was responsible for the defeat. As the CWC met, Youth Congress workers shouted slogans in support of Rahul outside.
“The question of Sonia and Rahul resigning does not even arise. It’s a collective responsibility. I am equally responsible,” Manish Tewari said.