Underlining that Manmohan Singh had to work under the “limitation” of being “announced” the prime minister by Congress president Sonia Gandhi, senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley Tuesday praised Singh’s “personal integrity” and described him as “a man of scholarship”.
“There were two strong qualities of the PM that I discovered. Firstly, whenever you discussed a serious subject with the PM, he came out as a man of scholarship. He was what we call a ‘syana aadmi’. His words were measured and he would reflect before making a comment. Secondly, his personal integrity was always above board. With an element of scholarship, he was always well-read and well-prepared on any subject that he dealt with,” Jaitley said in an article on his website.
Jaitley, however, criticised Singh’s leadership. “And yet, when he addressed the country, he never came out as a leader. It was his inability to overrule people which affected his functioning. He did not have the last word. As curtains draw to a close…the PM goes out with dignity and grace,” Jaitley said, pointing to Sonia Gandhi-led NAC’s obstacles against his reforms, Rahul Gandhi’s public rejection of his cabinet’s Ordinance, his inability to overrule the then finance minister Pranab Mukherjee over introduction of retrospective taxation, and failing to cancel allegedly rigged allocation of coal blocks.
Jaitley also suggested that Singh will be more remembered for his stint as finance minister. “Unquestionably Singh was a very good finance minister,” he said.
“He will remain an elder statesman and a man of credibility to guide the nation. Only if he had stood up at the right time and disagreed he would have been regarded with still a greater honour,” Jaitley said.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
BJP spokesperson Prakash Javadekar, meanwhile, said the Congress will find a scapegoat in Singh in its attempt to save Sonia and Rahul from criticism. “The mantra in Congress is to blame others in case of something bad. Therefore, PM will be blamed and others too,” Javadekar said.