Referring to his humble origins, Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday said it is the power of the Constitution and democracy that a boy from a “poor family” has got the opportunity to hoist the national flag at Red Fort.
“This is the power of the Constitution that a boy from a small town, from a poor family is at the Red Fort and is fortunate to bow before the tricolour. This is the power of Indian democracy. This the best gift our Constitution makers have given us,” Modi said in his maiden speech on 68th Independence Day.
In a bid to promote the country’s tourism industry, Modi said it helps everyone including auto drivers and tea-sellers, an apparent reference of himself.
“Tourism helps bring money to many. An auto driver can earn money, chickpea (chana) seller, (pakodawalla) snack seller and even a chaiwalla.
“When I refer to a chaiwalla, I can related it to myself,” the crowd responded in a thunderous applause as Modi mentioned his humble origins.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
During his childhood, Modi worked as a tea-seller, a fact he mentioned several times in his Lok Sabha election campaigns.
Modi also applauded the work of security forces and their “sacrifice” while performing the duty of protecting the country.
“Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty. The forces are vigilant and so should we to make progress,” the PM said.