National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) vice-chairman M Shashidhar Reddy, whose resignation has been accepted by PM Narendra Modi, Saturday said he was not asked by the government to put in his papers.
Reddy, who has been with the NDMA in various capacities since its inception in 2005, said he decided to resign when he saw reports of Home Secretary Anil Goswami calling up governors and asking them to quit.
“I made up my mind to resign after the new government came to power but there were certain things that were required to be done. I decided to hang on as there were reports of cyclone and other natural disasters. I put in my papers on June 16 and a couple of days later the other members were asked to quit by the home secretary. We have been asked to continue till new members arrive as it is an important body,” said Reddy, whose tenure was to end in December 2015.
- The Royal Opera House Reopens After Decades Of Neglect: Here’s A Quick Tour
- Tata Sons Rubbishes Cyrus Mistry’s Allegations: Here’s What Happened
- Pakistan High Commissioner denies allegations leveled on his staffer for espionage activities
- Odisha: Villagers Refuse To Cremate Dalit Woman’s Body
- Here’s What Farhan Akhtar Said On Karan Johar-MNS ‘Deal’ Over Ae Dil Hai Mushkil’s Release
- Government’s Diwali Gift to Central Government Employees, Pensioners
- Bigg Boss 10 26th October Review: This Episode Is All About Fights
- New Zealand Beat India By 19 Runs In Ranchi; Series Levelled At 2-2
- DND Toll-Free: Noida Toll Company Moves Supreme Court Against Allahabad High Court
- British PM Theresa May Says Kashmir Is A Matter For India, Pakistan To Sort Out
- J&K: Students Suffer As Schools Along LOC Forced To Shut Amid Firing
- Jayalalithaa’s Health: AIADMK Women Supporters Continue Special Prayers For CM
- HTC Desire 10 Lifestyle First Look Video
- Fissures Remain Within Samajwadi Party: All You Need To Know
- Big Cheer For Delhi-Noida Commuters, DND Flyway Becomes Toll Free
The post of NDMA’s vice chairman is a constitutional post of the rank of a Cabinet minister.
Reddy said he met Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and apprised her of the situation.