BJP Asansol MP Babul Supriyo has claimed that he got a ticket to contest the Lok Sabha elections on the recommendation of Baba Ramdev.
The popular singer wrote this in the first part of a two-part article he is writing for the Sunday supplement of Bengali vernacular Anandabazar Patrika. Narendra Modi had campaigned for Supriyo during the campaign.
Writing in the format of a diary, Supriyo says that on February 28 he found himself sitting next to the yoga guru on a flight and overheard him discussing ticket distribution with somebody. The MP claims he told him, jocularly, “Baba I also want a ticket. And if you do not give it, I will tell the media how you are giving tickets to people.”
Supriyo says Ramdev was taken aback, and told his personal secretary to take down the number of the singer.
On March 1, the MP says, he got a call from a person who identified himself as Rakesh, a pracharak of the RSS.
- Here’s Why Delhi-NCR Gets Pollution Code On Lines Of Beijing
- PM Modi Is More Interested In TRP Politics Rahul Gandhi At Congress Parliamentary Meet
- Bigg Boss 10 December 1 Review: Priyanka Jagga Succeeds In Her Divide And Rule Strategy
- Kahaani 2 Audience Reaction: Vidya Balan Starrer Thriller Gets Mixed Reviews
- Find Out What PM Modi Said About Demonetisation On LinkedIn
- Row Over West Bengal ”Military Coup” Issue Escalates: Who Said What
- Here’s How Mohammad Kaif Replied To Virender Sehwag’s Birthday Wish On Twitter
- West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee’s Flight Reportedly Had Low Fuel: Here’s What Happened
- Reliance Jio Welcome Offer Extended Till March 31, JioMoney Launched
- Uri Attackers Came From Pakistan, Establishes Digital Data
- Bigg Boss 10 Nov 30 Episode Review: Captaincy Brings Differences In Manoj Punjabi & Manveer Gurjar
- Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi’s Official Twitter Handle Hacked
- After Rahul Gandhi’s Twitter Handle, Congress Official Twitter Account Hacked
- 3 Dead As Army Helicopter Crashes In Sukna In West Bengal
- BJP, Congress Engage In War Of Words Over Nagrota Attack: Find Out More
“Baba has told us about you. How much money will you be able to spend? The limit is Rs 70 lakh but some people spend more than that,” he said.
Supriyo writes that he told Rakesh he could not spend the money. “I love Modiji and that is why I want to contest,” I told him.
Three days later, writes the MP, he got a call. It was Ramdev, who told him that his candidature had been confirmed. When the singer told him he would not be able to spend the money required, Ramdev reportedly said, laughing: “That will be taken care of by the BJP. But you promise to me that you will learn Pavan Mukta asana (a pose to release gas).”
On March 7, BJP state president Rahul Sinha called up Supriyo asking him if he had any objection to being fielded from Asansol “Why Asansol?” Supriyo asked. “Because Asansol is a Hindi belt and you speak that language well. We believe if we work hard, we can win that seat,” Sinha said.
Supriyo told The Indian Express that the second part of his article, which will appear next Sunday, will be even “more interesting”.
Sinha said he had not yet seen the piece. “I will definitely read it and then comment.”