His inclusion in the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) is already regarded as a minor coup of sorts for the BJP in terms of eating into the so-called “secular” camp ahead of elections. Now Ramvilas Paswan’s political credentials as a champion of the Dalits and the Muslims may be used outside Bihar too.
Sources said the BJP’s PM Narendra Modi spoke to Paswan and suggested that he join him in campaigns at select places outside Bihar. The conversation took place over phone soon after the Lok Janashakti Party (LJP)’s alliance with the BJP was formalised. Hence, chances are that Paswan may be seen at rallies wending through places where the backward and minority votes are a deciding factor.
“Over the phone he (Modi) told Paswan to leave Bihar’s campaign-related responsibilities on senior party leaders, specially his son, and accompany him in rallies outside the state. And Paswan has agreed to do so,” said a senior LJP functionary.
Paswan, who has nursed his secular credentials for the past 12 years, and who a few years ago suggested that a Muslim be made Bihar CM, is regarded as a potential mascot for the NDA for drawing Dalit and Muslim votes from across India. Dalits alone comprise around 16 per cent of the population.
Party sources said Paswan has decided to contest from Hajipur, despite his term as a Rajya Sabha MP ending two years from now and despite him losing from there in 2009. So, much of Paswan’s time in campaign will be devoted to Bihar. But LJP sources said he has decided to make time for outings elsewhere and share the stage with Modi. The Gujarat CM has also recently said he believed the coming decade would belong to the Dalits and other backward classes.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review