Amid growing indication about a larger role for Priyanka Gandhi in party affairs, Congress on Thursday said the party wants all three members of Gandhi family to take leadership role.
Sonia Gandhi is Congress President, Rahul is Vice President and there have been media speculation about Priyanka Gandhi likely to take up a formal responsibility in the party as general secretary of the crucial Hindi state of Uttar Pradesh.
“Everybody from all over India want that all members of Gandhi family should come in politics. We want that all three of them should take the leadership role in the party (Hum Chaahte Hain ki tinon party ki kamaan samhale),” party spokesperson Shobha Oza told reporters.
She was replying to a question about a poster coming up in Allahabad proclaiming that Priyanka Gandhi Vadra would soon be joining active politics.
The remarks of Oza in the official briefing of the AICC comes a day after senior Congress leader and a Gandhi family loyalist Oscar Fernandes said yesterday that Priyanka should have a more active role in the Congress” and that she should take up an “important responsibility”.
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
- O. Panneerselvam: 10 Things You Need To Know
- PM Narendra Modi Slams Opposition For Not Letting Parliament Function
- Nawazuddin Siddiqui On Working In Raees: Was Nervous To Shoot With Shah Rukh Khan
- Bathinda Dancer Murder: Video Showing Accused Opening Fire At Marriage
- 5 Lesser Known Facts About Sasikala Natarajan
- Congress Leader Shashi Tharoor’s Delhi Home Burgled: Here’s What Happened
- Reserve Bank Of India Keeps Repo Rate Unchanged Post Demonetisation
- Bigg Boss 10 Dec 06 Review: Swami Om Pees In Kitchen
- Lenovo k6 Power Video Review
When asked if Priyanka’s entry would not be treated as a vote of no-confidence in Rahul, he said, “There is no comparison. Rahul is vice-president of the party, Sonia is president. Another member of the Gandhi family would strengthen the party.”
A few months ago, a top leader had indicated that Priyanka’s role would not be of replacing Rahul but supplementing him in running the party.
A banner put out in Allahabad a couple of days back read “Congress ka Moon, Priyanka is coming soon (The key face of Congress Priyanka is joining politics soon)”.