The BJP top brass from UP Tuesday held a meeting here to discuss the party’s candidates for the Lok Sabha elections. BJP general secretary in-charge of UP Amit Shah, former state CM Kalyan Singh and national general secretary (organisation) Ramlal attended the meeting.
“Potential candidates for all 80 seats were discussed. If there was unanimity on candidates, single names were finalised, while a panel of names was suggested for other seats,” a source said, indicating that these names will be forwarded to the party’s central election committee to take a final call. The committee would meet on March 8 and March 13 to finalise candidates for several states.
Party leaders said there was no discussion on Narendra Modi’s candidature from the state as the central leadership would decide on that.
Sources indicated Modi was veering towards the idea of contesting from UP, with Shah publicly suggesting his candidature will boost the party’s prospects in the state. Party leaders indicated Shah is keen to get him to contest from Varanasi, currently represented by senior party leader Murli Manohar Joshi.
There were also suggestions that Modi could take the fight to his bete noire Nitish Kumar’s camp by contesting from Patna. But central party leaders indicated Modi will contest from Gujarat to maximise the party’s electoral tally from his home turf. “There have been instances when senior party leaders have contested from two seats to boost the party’s prospects,” said a party leader.
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016