Days after Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi said the BJP marketed itself better, Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram admitted on Sunday that the government’s top leadership could have communicated with the media and the public more often.
“I think it is a fair criticism that we have not communicated our achievements to the people. People expect communication from the top. But given the nature and the personality of our leaders at the top, they have been, if I may say, in an understated way, very media shy,” Chidambaram told The Indian Express.
Citing the example of global leaders, Chidambaram noted that US President Barack Obama appears on television at least twice or thrice a week, while British Prime Minister David Cameron appears before the media at least once a week. “If the government’s overall stance, policies and approach have to be articulated and communicated, that can only be done by the head of the government. When the Prime Minister addresses the media, he speaks for the whole government,” he said.
“The Prime Minister addressing the media is different from the Finance Minister or Home Minister or Health Minister addressing the media. It’s only occasionally that we can stray and speak about other portfolios of the government, but that is not usually done,” he said, pointing out that he has appeared before the media or a public function more often than any other Finance Minister in recent times.
When asked if the Congress leadership too did not really open up to the media, Chidambaram said, “That’s true of most political parties. Most political parties, when in government, leave communication to the government. When in opposition, it is different.”
- Soon You Could Get Plastic Currency Notes: Find Out More
- Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor Starrer Befikre Gets A Thumbs Up
- Supreme Court Seeks Centre’s Response Over Various Issues Regarding Demonetisation
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar Writes To West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee
- Bigg Boss 10 December 8 Review: Swami Om Feels Cheated, lashes Out At Gaurav For Jail Punishment
- South Korean President Park Geun-Hye Impeached Over Corruption Scandal
- Former Air Chief SP Tyagi Arrested In VVIP Chopper Scam
- After Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi, Liquor Baron Vijay Mallya’s Twitter Account Hacked
- Find Out What PM Narendra Modi Told Cabinet Over Demonetisation Decision
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
- Government To Waive Service Tax On Debit, Credit Card Transactions Of Up To Rs 2,000
- President Pranab Mukherjee Criticises Parliament Disruptions Over Demonetisation
- Pakistan International Airlines Flight Carrying Over 40 Passenger On Board Crashes
- Shah Rukh Khan On Raees Clash With Kaabil: It’s Impossible To Have A Solo Release In India
- US-President Elect Donald Trump Named TIME’s Person Of The Year 2016
P Vaidyanathan Iyer